You may know that my favorite place to be is home, and my next favorite place is Target. Sigh. When I think about getting a medium free-refill diet coke and walking the aisles looking for the greatest bargain found on the clearance shelves, I want to jump in the car and speed off. It's best to go in the morning when most people and kids are at work and in school. The store is kind of quiet and you don't feel rushed to move out of someone's way.
Well Saturday night I talked Shad into stopping there so I could make some returns. I should have known not to go in, to just wait until Monday when it was just me and Amaya. Being a Saturday night the first of December. . . I should have known.
Shad took the kids to look at toys while I waited in the oh so long line. I went to find him and we were going to try and enjoy looking at all the neat stuff each of us wanted. Amaya did not have a good day that day, and she was not wanting to sit buckled in the seat of the cart. So I decided to let her hang out in the basket, this made Shad nervous. I usually keep a hand on her when she is in that part of the cart, but because it was crowded I moved behind the cart to pass someone else. While we were waiting to pass I see my kid's tiny feet flip over her head and fall on her back on the the games that were stacked on the bottom shelf. BIG CRISIS adverted the boxes broke a hard cement fall. None-the-less Amaya let me know that she didn't want to do that again, I didn't either.
Then later as we are headed to the check out, Ella was holding onto the side of the cart. I usually pull her to walk between me and the cart when we are going through a narrow area. I get tired of always moving her out of the way, so I consciously didn't move her this time. I didn't know she was pretending to be sleepwalking and had her eyes covered. She walked her head right into a corner of the metal shelf. Again everyone looks at the spectacle of the mother doh'ing (see the Simpson's to know the meaning of this term) the situation and the 4-year-old screaming.
I will not let this trip deter me from going to my place again, but will probably stay away when I should know better.
6 comments:
Oh Al. I feel your pain. It's just when you do something that you never do that an accident happens with one of your kids and everyone looks at you like you're a bad mom---but more importantly you feel like a bad mom. I do it often. Just this past Sunday Marley and I come running into choir practice (i am the pianist) and one of the old ladies says "well I'm glad you finally put sleeves on her it's been so cold lately and she always comes dressed without sleeves." I didn't have anything to say in return...to us Wisconsinite (most recently anyway) 70's is still WARM weather. I am always very conscious of Marley staying warm or staying cool.
Oh I am so glad that I wasn't there with you. My kids never do things like that. Dallin has never twice fallen out of a cart and Kaylee has never caused a scene at a store and thus spent the next forty minutes under my cart screaming to get off. I would have abandoned you to spare myself the embarassment. Whew, good thing when we go you are more level headed.
Oh, I too feel the pain...Lexi dove out of the cart a couple of weeks ago...is the babe ok?? How 'bout your pride...are you ok??? I think the moral is NO kids (or husbands for that matter) at the store, right???
So, Al, have I ever told you what happened to my sister this time last year? She was at TJMaxx with her 2 year old in the cart seat. She turned around and my nephew reached for something and flipped the cart. He ended up with a metal hook lodged in his eye socket. It lascerated several muscles. Thank heavens for fasting, prayers and good surgeons. The doctors think he healed up miraculously well. There is only a slight scar and he can't look up all the way but at least he can move his eye almost normal. My sister will never go into TJMaxx again. We call it the store that must not be named. (we are dorks, I know.)
Not that I would want to relive your day, but it could have been worse.
my dad once took me out to dinner at a nice restaurant when i was little. i think it was his attempt, only attempt, at daddy-daughter time following the birth of one of my sisters. i decided to rock back and do a quick little balancing act on the back two legs of my chair. i tipped over and knocked over a waitress who was carrying an armload of food and that went flying on to another customer. this is why ever after my mother took me to fast food joints until i was older (i think i was maybe 3).
I could not stop laughing at the title of this posting. My kids are always running into things, I am always worried that people think that I am beating them on account of the endless bruises.
Post a Comment