Friday, December 19, 2008

No Peeking? I'll open it early.

Look what Shad fit under our Christmas tree! And I got to open it early!



We closed the deal last night. We really did get a good deal on the car.   The dealership only had one color van with the DVD player in it, so we asked them to install one in a color that we wanted and only charge the amount of the unit. They agreed and it actually worked out better. The player they installed is a couple of inches bigger, it has video games on it, and it has a lifetime warranty.

After they printed the contract, Shad was looking it over before signing and caught that they were charging us more than they said they would.  It went to the next thousandth. I did the math and it was only $200 changing the payment $4/month, but we still made them take it off.

I feel Shad and I made a great team getting this deal done. He did all the research between Hondas and Toyotas and then sent out e-mail inquiries to which dealership was offering the better deal.  I found the car and got the DVD deal done. I then remembered that Shad gets a better tax rate because he is active duty military, so we didn't have to finance as many taxes making it so our monthly payment was where we wanted and we didn't have to put more down. 

The dealership we went to was really great not pushy at all, they gave their opinions and waited for us to make a decision. The salesman just laughed when I told him what colors I didn't want. It sounded like this "I definitely don't want burgandy, I don't blue, and silver, oh and black, and maybe not white, definitely not sand". What did that leave us with? Dark Grey, which they didn't have. Well the other color they had was called Green Slate, but it is more of a silver with green and blue undertones. I really like the color now, but am hesitant because I think it won't look as good in 10 years. Oh well 10 yr old cars are supposed to look old, right?

Anyway, thanks for all the opinions I felt encouraged knowing my friends thought it would be worth it too.

A Tribute to Linus

Linus was our VW Passat, oh how we loved him.
He took us all around the town, playing, shopping, erranding.
In 2005 he took us to Wyoming, Utah, Texas, North Carolina and then New Jersey.
Linus got us where we were going everytime, he always warned me when he needed his doctor
Linus was our beach trip car, our favorite place in the world to go
We were so excited to treat him with a garage in our new home
We really did love him, and I really am getting a little teary thinking of him left at the dealership  
Ella flat out bawled.  It was like we gave her a puppy and then ripped it out of her arms and drowned it in front of her.  She is so sensitive and gets so attached to things.  
Although, Linus was not just a thing he was our beloved car.


(I forgot our camera last night and the only picture we of Linus on the outside was lost when our computer crashed last year, so here is one of him on the safe inside)


.

**I wanted to show off my Christmas tree. My dear friend Mary gave it to me for Christmas so we would have a tree to put up in Texas. She even bought tinsel and ornaments in the colors of my big tree at home. Thanks Mary it was very thoughtful, and the Hot Chocolate is yummy

12 comments:

wyochatfields said...

Well, congratulations even though is is a MINIVAN. More room is always a good thing.

Merry Christmas

Rebecca said...

YAY! I can't wait to sit in such a sweet ride!

Libby said...

I like you even more now that you have a minivan! I get a lot of grief for ours, but they are the best. There is nothing wrong with minivans...people just can't get over the stigma of driving a family car. Well I love it! Why buy a suburban or suv and pay twice as much, more for gas, and have no good features in your car just so you can say you don't drive a minivan. That is crazy! I am not ashamed to have a family so why should I be ashamed of driving a family car! And my car opens my doors for me, has mirrors that shows me my kids, lets me control a zillion things by a push of a button on the steering wheel, etc,etc. Can you tell I am passionate about minivans?

Ginger said...

I'm sooooo happy for you.
What's the name of this new car?

Meg said...

Wahoo! Nice ride.

Unknown said...

CONGRATS!! It's even cute ;)

Jessie said...

Congrats! You will love having a bigger vehicle to transport your rugrats around in! Looks pretty spiffy too!

Cristina said...

Congrats! Looks great under the Christmas tree. It will make your trip home nice.

Elaine said...

Congratulations It will become your second home! We bought a minivan the week our 3rd baby (Benjamin) was born after we realized that even though three carseats could fit in the back of our Camry, the girls just wouldn't stop touching the baby in the middle. We needed SPACE between them! Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

Jen said...

Yay!! I'm so glad you did it. You'll have to let me know if you got mad at yourself for not getting it sooner. It is very nice. Congrats Allison and Shad. I hope you had a nice Christmas!!

Jackie said...

sorry this is so late, but yay I am so excited for you!!! Congrats and what a fun trip you will have coming back in your new van!! Can't wait to see it!!

Lindsey said...

I am so excited for you guys! You're gonna love it, and especially appreciate it on your ride home. I can't wait to see it in person!