Saturday, July 25, 2009

Swimming Lessons 2009

Well we had 7 weeks of swimming lessons this summer. Ella took all 7 weeks. Amaya wanted to get in everyday, and she was happy with just 3 minutes of being spun around the pool by Tina between classes. I decided that she could take full lesson block, so we signed her up for the second session. She didn't have much coordination, but she showed an interest in learning and doing which made me proud.

Practicing kicking her legs.

One more time with bubble blowing.

Practicing swimming with arms and legs.



Ella did very well. I could really see a difference in what she was comfortable doing from the first lesson and in the last. At first she wouldn't put her head in without plugging her nose and by the end, she really didn't think about plugging her nose unless she was jumping in.



Her favorite thing to do was hunting little easter eggs at the bottom. She loves that she can go down and get things off the bottom of the pool.


Warning very strong opinion coming out-- Swimming is a life skill, something that everyone should know how to do. I will make sure my kids are comfortable in and around water, that means swimming lessons every summer for a long time.

4 comments:

Jessie said...

I completely agree! My kids take lessons every session year round plus 2 in the summer! I love the sense of accomplishment it gives them when they complete a new skill!

Kade and Emily said...

Wow, I sure hope your kids are around to save my kids from drowning. ;)
Just kidding, just kidding. I think it's important, too. In fact I think it would be weird to not know how to swimm.

wyochatfields said...

7 weeks that is impressive. Looks like they had fun.

CareyClan said...

Where do you take them?