Monday, August 22, 2011

Bear hunting

Should read Bears Beware!
Photo actually taken a couple of weeks later in Valdez.


Lots of bear track up and down the Yukon River.


Shad went bear hunting. He first set out in May, but was one of the two that didn't get one. So he set up a couple of weekends to go this August.

The first weekend was to set up his bait station. While up there, one of the other guys said that his station had been getting hit and Shad should just hunt there for the weekend.

Shad did hunt there. In fact shortly after getting situated in his tree stand, a shaggy looking cinnamon colored one came trapesing through to check out the deliciousness of the bait. Shad couldn't decide at first if it was a brown bear (off limits near bait) or a cinnamon colored black bear. When he decided it was indeed a black bear and was reaching for his gun, the bear spotted Shad in the tree and took off.

No worries, not too much longer Shad heard the familiar sound of something coming through the trees again. This one was beautiful shiny-thick-black-furred bear. When she layed down to eat from the food, Shad took his shot. She shot up and ran about 20 yards before she fell.


I am a little nervous to eat her. I've heard the meat is good and I've heard it is nasty. So we'll see what we think.

The next weekend Shad went again to take Will our friend from Anchorage. Sadly they did not get Will a bear and even worse they were robbed. It is believed it was some natives from Stephens village that made off with Shad's and Will's packs and supplies. It'n not going to be fun paying out the money to replace the stuff that was taken. I HATE THIEVES!

Now the debate on where the hide will be displayed is a REAL conversation.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh man, I didn't know they were robbed! And we vote for a bear skin rug. Solves the problem of where to put her and you need a rug. Very Alaskan!

Kade and Emily said...

I too vote for a rug.

Elaine said...

So cool! I showed this post to David and he said, "I got to put in to go to Alaska now!" He wants to do a bear hunt too! So sorry about the robbery--I hate dishonest people!