Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Fairbanks, Alaska


That's right folks. Shad got some orders from the good old Army to PCS (that means Post Change, something) to Ft. Wainwright, Alaska. That is in Fairbanks, as in the middle of Alaska, as in North of Yukon, that is neighbors to Canada (Hi, Pat and Jessie).

Shad is Ecstatic, I mean really really excited. He keeps telling me everything that he's going to do while living there. It includes a lot of outdoors activities, such as hunting and fishing and skiing.

When Ella heard, she very timidly asked if there are polar bears there. Shad without thinking said "yes there are bears there". Completely putting out of his mind her COMPLETE and utter FEAR of polar bears. She started crying. I assured her she wouldn't ever see a polar bear unless she wanted too (brown and black bears, I make no promises.) That seemed to do the trick. The other day she brought home a paper with sentences of all the things she is going to do in Alaska. She tells everyone she sees and meets that that is where she will be living next year.

When I heard, I tried really hard to hold back the tears and I immediately called my sisters for moral support. I have cried on more than one occasion. I have many friends that try to console my fears with words of encouragement. I kid you not, everyone- EVERYONE says "I know so and so and they loved it there".

Yes, well I have to mourn the fact that I will be leaving this wonderful place for a place that is EVEN FURTHER from my family and more isolated. I have to mourn that I'll be leaving my wonderful friends here and try to be excited to make new ones in a place that I don't really want to go to live.

I am excited to see Alaska. I am excited to see the Auroa Borealis, and icebergs, and whales. I do look forward to teaching my kids to ski and snowboard and sled (we don't get much chance of that here). I just was hoping to visit someday, NOT live. My brother Kiley tells me that I am now his favorite sibling (sorry, Cameron, brothers no longer means anything when there is good hunting to be had where I live).

Fairbanks:
Latitude: 64.84 N, Longitude: 147.73 W
Population: 35,000
Elevation: 440 ft
Sunrise and Sunset for 1/20/10: 10:13 AM - 3:53 PM
Average Temperature for the month of January: - 0.3 degrees Farenheit

We are trading Hurricanes and Tornados for Earthquakes and Ice Fog.

I am very excited to see this:


I really don't want to be there for this:


Interesting facts about our future home:

#1 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest percentage of residents that keep firearms around their homes"

#14 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest temperature differences during a year"

We move in July, wish us luck.

19 comments:

Jessie said...

How exciting! Does that mean you will be making a road trip through Canada? Or are you planning to fly? I think you should drive because if you plan it right you could stop for a visit! We are on the way!

Kade and Emily said...

I promise visits. And, I have found some smokin' deals for you on hats and gloves.

Farah said...

What an adventure! But Allison, I HATE change! Kurt moves the furniture to vacuum and I about loose it. I am sorry and excited for you!

Julie Robinson said...

Holy crap.....I mean, yea!!!!!!

Jen said...

Oh Allison!! Stock up on snow suits. Great, now you'll get to experience the freezing temps I have had to deal with the past 4 years!!:)

You know what it's cold, but beautiful. I have a good friend here from Alaska and she cannot wait to get back there. She hates it here in MN. They are moving back in July as well. Her name is Syra Beistline so if you ever meet her you'll love her. She's hilarious! What a fun new adventure for you.

I will honestly say that I hated it here SO BAD our first 11/2 years here and now I really enjoy it. So, my point is that if I can be happy here I can be happy anywhere and so can you!! You will do great Allison, and it sounds like your husband will be happy to have fun hobbies to enjoy. Just turn into a little ice princess and grab a gun and go along with shad for the ride!!

pinkfrostycookies said...

PCS = permanent change of station

Again, all my friend who were stationed there loved it!

Lee

Stephanie said...

Wow what a change from north carolina. I hope the move goes smoothly and you feel better about living there. I can't believe they only have 6 hours of daylight-crazy?! Tell everyone you want spotlights for Christmas to simulate the sun...lol

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

Congrats! I think it sounds cool!
How long will you be there... hey, you'll be able to say "once, when I lived in Alaska...."

You need to learn to sew or something (if you don't already) or get some serious scrapbooking done! ... some big hobby to keep you pre-occupied during the long winter.

Unknown said...

Al - You'll do great. I have to say that I would cry too and Jared says that I wouldn't follow him there : ) I think you will make an adventure of it though and probably be one of those that ends up loving it.

AGoodKindOfCrazy said...

News to cheer you up: Fairbanks will be getting a TARGET in the fall of this year!!!!

Elaine said...

Wow! What a change! That would be a tough place to move for me. But, like all the comments before say, you will probably end up loving it. It is hard to move no matter where you go, but after a while, it starts to feel like home and you learn all the cool things there are to do there and you wonder how you ever got along without knowing the new friends you make there. Best of luck! I can't wait to hear about all your adventures in Alaska.

Adam Amy Wes said...

I am so unbelievably jealous of you guys. Fairbanks is #1 on my list of duty stations. Amy and I have been trying to go there for the last couple years. I would love to think that we will see you there in year or so!
Adam

Scott said...

Wow. I don't know anyone stationed there, but I know people who live there. On purpose. Must be something about the place. Guess you get to figure it out for yourself? Best of luck! Whatever happens it will be a grand adventure!

Meg said...

I know this won't console you but I wish we were moving there!

Stan and Mel said...

We should come and see you before you move away. I think you will like Alaska. People with good attitudes can make the best of every situation. Just think of the adventure and all the cool things you will see! Sometimes I wish we could move somewhere like that. Ted Simper lives there...if you remember him?

Cristina said...

I'm sure there will be so many fun things for you to do there, you will grow to love it. We hope to visit you guys!!

momoftheyear20never said...

Way cool! Maybe a little too cool but you have such a warm heart I'm sure you won't notice. :) There goes my feeble attempt to console you. Take plenty of "black curtains" 'cuz you know how Shad needs his beauty sleep.
You guys WILL love it there because that's just the kind of people you are. Well, you anyway, not so sure about that husband of yours.

wendy said...

WOWSERS! It is really for real! I am speachless...well acutally I'm not. And yes, I too have a friend that is living there if you want her info. Cam wants to make a trek to visit, so maybe that would be something to look forward to also...just trying my best here...you will do great!

Roundy Clan said...

When I found out you were moving here my first reaction was, "How does Allison feel about that!" I hope it all works out for you guys and that you LOVE it! Cody has been dying to go there so I bet he will try and visit