Some of my favorites are of course by Dr. Seuss- Happy Birthday, Dr.

Sandra Boynton, if you don't know her work you've got to become acquainted. Some of our favorites are Red Hat Blue Hat, But not the Hippopotamus, Dinosaur's Binkit, and probably my favorite of them all The Going to Bed Book, oh and Hey Wake Up. I often find these books at TJ Maxx for fair prices.
I was just introduced to Mo Willems by my friend Lindsey. I found Edwina the Dinosaur who didn't know She was Extinct in a thrift book store and scooped it up it is GREAT. I love his Pigeon series too.
When I was little I remember reading the book Christina Katerina and the Box, by Patricia Lee Gauch over and over. I just love Christina's imagination for the box.

These are my own personal picks and there are many more of them out there that I do like. I just wanted to know if there are some I am missing. What is your favorite? Who had stood the test of time in your house? Are there any that your kids pick up over and over?
Leave your comment and I will have another drawing. I don't know what the winner will get this time, but I do know that a sure-fire way to get comments to have an offer of something in return.


11 comments:
I don't need to be in the drawing, I like leaving comments! I LOVE kid's books.
Some of my fave to read to the kids are Mrs. Pigglewiggle, the Boxcar children and Ronin's fave: Knuffle Bunny!
Oh, I could go on and on for you about kids books. And now that my girls are older, I've been having fun reading "older kid" books as well. Some of our favorites: "Is Your Mama a Llama" by Deborah Guarino, "Hug" by Jez Alborough, "Diary of a Worm" by Doreen Cronin, the Daisy books by Jane Simmons, the Fancy Nancy books by Jane O'Conner, the Angelina Ballerina books, "If you Give a Mouse a Cookie" and the others in that series. Some older kid novels that we've loved are The Mysterious Benedict Society trilogy (these are so fun! probably ages 9+ to read alone, younger if you wanted to read them aloud); "Holes," all the Roald Dahl books, "The Mouse in the Motorcyle" and all the Laura Ingells Wilder books. Oh yes, and my girls love the Gail Carson Levine books. Happy reading. I loved your post--you had some books on there I don't know about. I'm going to go find them at the library and bring them home.
I love the Harold and the Purple Crayon series. Also my kids love I Love You Stinky Face.
Helen Lester's books (illustrated by Lynn Munsinger) are some of my favorites, "Hooway for Wodney Wat" in particular. We have a lot of Eric Carle books here as well. One last suggestion is "I Love You Forever" which takes a few years of reading before you don't cry through it.
(I don't need to be in the drawing either. But thanks for letting me share our faves!)
PS Any Junie B. Jones book is also great!
Yay for a children's book post! I love children's books. I convinced that my son learned the alphabet so early because of Dr. Suess's ABC book. We only read it 5 million times!
We love Mo Willems (even Elephant and Piggie) and Kevin Henkes..all their books. We also love Dooby Dooby Moo (Doreen Cronin), Somebody Loves You Mr. Hatch, The Polar Express, Officer Buckle and Gloria, Olivia, Ella the Elephant stories, Young Cam Jansen series...these are all stories I've discovered since I've been a Mom. I want to read Classics with my children. When I was growing up I loved Beverly Cleary books. I'm looking forward to everyone's ideas. I'm always looking for good books to read.
I like Shel Silverstein, A Giraffe and a Half, The Giving Tree I had them growing up and I wanted them for my kids. Dr Seuss books are fun to read and I also really like the Beatrix Potter books.
We've been reading The Tale of Despereaux and The Cricket in Times Square out loud at bedtime. For older kids (and I admit these are kind of boy-centric) we've been reading the How to Train Your Dragon series and the Dinosaur Cove series (they're really easy so my oldest can read them to himself). And for younger kids we've been really into Skippyjon Jones and George and Martha.
Anything by Kevin Henkes is great, particularly Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse.
Fun post, Allison! I got some great ideas from you and from the other commenters!
Hi Allison -
I just saw your name on Jenny's comment board and came to visit your site - you have beautiful kids.
Kids books are so much fun. Our absolute favorite read - aloud is called My Father's Dragon (there are actually 3 books in the series and they are all fantastic) by Ruth S. Gannett. It is a chapter book, but my boys loved it at pre-school age (no pictures). I have ton's more favorites but most of them have been mentioned here. Also - when I first started reading to them I found a book at the library called "The Read Aloud Handbook" by Jim Trelease - it gave lists of books for different ages and even gave a brief overview of the book - I would recommend that book as well.
Looks like you are keeping busy - it has been fun to read about you,
Heidi (Duncan)
You should feel special that a real published author posted on your blog. I just read Amelia Bedelia today with layne and we get a kick out of Amalia books. I also remember the box book and really liked it. Right now I don't have anything more profound. When you post on Young Adult, I will have much more to say. Since that is where I am with the kids.
Post a Comment