Friday, January 14, 2011

Music


Shad recently posted this on our FaceBook status:

Hypothetical: You must listen to one album (and only one album) every day for the next month. What album would it be??

Unfortunately for him, most of my friends responded and they don't exactly listen to the same genres of music Shad does. He does not like Josh Groban, I do, and that's what two people said.

When I was on the phone with Rebecca she asked me how I'd answer that question, and I couldn't even name an artist at first. She had put Dave Mathews Band Under the Table and Dreaming. I really like Dave Mathews Band so I said that's probably one I'd choose, or something by Gwen Stefani. I am not a music buff and don't even really need it in my life. I really like music and the way it makes me perky or upbeat, but I don't have to have music on at all times.


Shad always has music, he can't work out without it and he works better at home and at work if he has something to listen too. He can play "name that artist" and he pretty much knows it right off the bat, or he can deduce who it is that sings. He even knows Country music. After he bought his truck, I got in with him and he had some twangy song playing and I laughed. All he needed was some Cowboy boots and a hat and he'd be a true Hick. I digress. When Shad is helping me clean the kitchen he always starts by picking some music to play on the iphone. The kids will congregate around us and start dancing. We have little dances in the kitchen complete with Shad doing ballet lifts with the kids. It always happy times when we're dancing.

I was thinking today how unmusical I am and how I want my children to be more like Shad. I want my girls to sing and play the piano like my amazing friends did in high school Heidi, Erin and Kara. I want Ella to start taking piano lessons now, I am trying hard to find a piano that we can afford and meets Shad's approval (not easy terms). Then I want them to take voice lessons and choose an instrument of their choice when they get older. I hope one of them chooses the guitar and someone chooses the violin.

I don't know where I'm going with this, just saying what's been on my mind.

3 comments:

McCallisters said...

Anything Neil Diamond! Oldies or classical for this "31 year-old going on sixty" in her musical tastes. Driving a truck and listening to country--Shad is keeping it real southern Utah style.

Roundy Clan said...

Post don't always have to go somewhere. I enjoyed reading it. An album I really enjoy listening to is Elliot Yamin ( he was on American Idol one of the years but he has an excellent album I swear! ) heehee I also enjoy one of the Save Ferris albums and if the kids aren't in the car ( like that ever happens ) I LOVE the Cake album Fashion Nugget! It's awesome ( when I skip the song that has the F word in it a hundred times )

Kade and Emily said...

I always hope that our kids will get Gene's singing genes. (ha ha! that sounds funny) We love music around here, too. Must be a Roundy thing.
And, I know this may be corny, but if I had to listen to an album all week, I would probably choose a Mo Tab CD. Quit often they get left in the cd player all week anyway.