Thursday, September 29, 2011

3rd Grade field trip

I volunteered to go on the field trip with Ella's class to Creamer's Field. Originally a dairy, it was donated by Charlie Creamer to the state as a wildlife and bird sanctuary.

We came as a family back in August when there were still many many cranes, geese, ducks and other birds here. But because it is now too cold for many of the those birds they've moved on and there are only a few species left. The guy told us that there are only 20 different types of birds here in the winter and in the summer there are 300-400 varieties.

The old barn.
The very best third grader there ever was.
This bird they caught today. Josh (the tour guide) said that it is very rare for them to catch this species of bird this far north.
Me and my girl.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Not one but two posts! Woohoo! Okay I am sad you are already layered and in coats, but I LOVE Ella's coat! Sounds like even birds hate AK winters. Also, I totally think it is your jacket in that picture making you look that way, so please don't go to 300. Although I would look skinny next to you so maybe you should... :)

wyochatfields said...

Looks like you guys have been busy, I love the fur around the hood of Ella's coat, maybe you guys should head south this year sometime around Christmas.

We Miss you guys!!!