Friday, February 6, 2009

How are you feeling?

33 weeks

Now I know all my family and friends that have ever been pregnant know what I mean when I say this. When someone asks that question " How are you feeling?" do they really want the honest answer?  Because for me, it will always be full of negatives.

Well how do I feel, let us see, where to start...

Last night I took a Benadryl to see if would help me from not itching.  You see when I am pregnant I itch and then I scratch and then I get this little red rash that covers my back, sides of my belly and lower belly that burns.  It feels like your skin does after an indian burn (remember those? I had two big brothers, I remember).  But the Benadryl actually didn't help the itching and the drug that makes you drowsy had an adverse affect on me, so I was trying to go to sleep between 9:30 pm and 3:00 am.  At which time I finally in a pleading prayer begged for relief by being able to go to sleep so that I could get at least 3 hours before getting Ella up for school.  During that first 6 hours of tossing and turning whatever body part was touching the bed felt like I had extremely dry skin (which shouldn't be the case since I slather body butter and oil on my skin every hour) and it was being stretched as far as it would go making the sheets feel like they were covered in little prickly burrs.  My prayer was answered last night, thankfully.  

Let's move on to the issue of not being able to pull myself off my own couch.  If Shad is next to me I grab his hand and in way he gives me a handicap rail to pull myself up on.  If he isn't home I roll off.  When I stand and start walking the nerve in my lower back seizes up and makes it so I can't move one of my legs any farther ahead of my body than a couple of inches.  I have found hot baths to help with this.  But hot baths are to be avoided if you have itchy skin, they strip your body of their natural oils.  Some nights I really go back and forth on what I should do.  "I am going to be itchy anyway, just take a bath"  "yes, I'll be itchy anyway, but will it be even worse if I dry my skin more?"


Warning next topic might be TMI for some.

So one of my indulgences right now is chewing ice.  Love It.  I love that it is so cold and that it really isn't an indulgence because it is better than drinking a soda (which is caffienated and will keep me up all night like the Benadryl).  The side effect from this is having to use the bathroom afterward, not all at once though.  I could handle that, I go like 3 times in an hour for a couple of hours afterward.  I have to cut myself off at 5 or 6 pm at night, so I am not still going from the ice at 2:00 am.

And a those are just some of the symptoms that are on top of all the "normal" symptoms:

-Not being able to catch your breath cause you walked up a flight of stairs
-Needing to be sure your sitting when a sneeze or cough comes on
-Having a soccer player practicing his moves on you when you finally lay down at the end of the     day
-Only having two outfits and only one of those two is actually comfortable to wear 
-Being short-tempered with everyone you see during the day and holding it just to have it    explode out of you on the poor innocent ones that happen to live with you
- One word: cankles
- Two words: stretch marks

I am just not believing that Bishop or lady behind the cash register really want to know all that, when they so innocently ask a concerned question.

My friend asked me this the other night and I gave my usual answer "oh, alright."  She then said "I'm sorry I asked, I always hated that question" She's had 5 kids, she knows what I am talking about.

I wish I was able to articulate it better.  If I could, I'd write a book about it. 

Let me just say I know I am not the one that is most effected from bringing dear sweet babies into this world.  I know there are women that lay in a bed day in and day out hoping it will help them hold onto the pregnancy long enough for the baby to be able to survive on the outside.  I know there are women that have to get IV's hooked up so they don't starve because they can't keep anything down.  There are even women that put their own life on the line for someone they haven't met yet, but know they love them more than anything else in the world.  And I am very grateful for the blessings I have been given. Such as the ability to still get out of bed in the morning and take care of my girls, even though I don't want to. 

But how can I say "no way, I won't do it" when my babies are this cute?

Ella 1-2 months

Amaya, 2-3 months

Just looking at these pictures I want to scoop them out of the computer and kiss those cheeks.  

13 comments:

Rebecca said...

I remember those days. Not being able to get up by myself. Horrible leg pain. Super cute babies. I can't wait to meet your little man!

Cristina said...

I did my share of rolling off the couch, and not being able to sleep as I watched Elisha sleeping soundly. They say you forget, but I don't. You do make very cute babies. I like the honest answers intead of the always I'm fine.

Stephanie said...

Just tell people what I used to say. "I feel like crap but thanks for asking!" And like Cristina, I also have not forgotten!

Rebecca said...

So, I think after Kaylee I remembered for a while...but after all the others, who cares. Easily forgotten.

Jessie said...

Hang in there Allison! I remember many a day where I was fast asleep on my couch with the tv entertaining my 2 kids, when I was pregnant with Emmy. I have to say I never got itchy but I can feel for you through your description! Only 7 weeks left!

Kade and Emily said...

I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, though! Hang in there! (remember the poster of the kitten haning from the tree branch by his little paw?)
Oh, and I found this ointment I really like. I get nasty spots of dryness on my hands and eyelids during the winter. It's actually meant for babies, but it seems to do the trick. It's Aquaphor Healing Ointment. I'm not sure where to buy it (try Walmart) because I've just been using the sample tube from the doctor's.

Meg said...

Yuck with the itching! That doesn't sound in the least bit fun. I'd say only 7 more weeks but after you have been pregnant for 33 and feel like you couldn't possibly get any bigger 7 weeks probably feels like and eternity. SO instead I'll just say I'm Sorry and enjoy your rambling (being that I'm not pregnant).

Meg said...

Actually come to think of it when I was pregnant about 36 weeks people actually stopped asking me how I was doing. I think i just looked totally miserable so they just didn't even want to know. So at least people still care.

wyochatfields said...

Hang in there Allison it is almost over.

Jackie said...

So when Josh read your blog, he said "I don't know how you women do it"...honestly, neither do I, but somehow we make it to the end and the reward is greater than all the crap we had to go through. Maybe you can start growling at people when they ask how you are...ooh that would make these last weeks fun! I can't wait to see the little guy!!

Jen said...

Oh hang in there Allison. I feel for you, I really do. Pregnancy is one of the hardest things sometimes I think. You are right your girls are so adorable and worth every second of misery. I'm so sorry. Next time the bishop asks how you are doing just have him scratch that certain itchy spot for you!:)

~jen said...

When I couldn't answer nicely, I started answering, "Round" or "Huge" or "Crappy" or "@#$%!". That's how I felt. And that's all the patience I had-one word answers. (On a happy note: hope you're getting ready to fall in love with a beautiful baby boy. Shad's gonna be jealous! =)

ps. Just think, only a few more weeks before people start asking, "Haven't you had that baby yet?" "Yeah, actually I have, but my shirts look funny now, so I'm just putting a watermelon under them."

Roundy Clan said...

I feel your pain! Your little one will be here soon and it will be worth it. When I was in the hospital and all the stuff kept happening, I kept thinking, "No way am I doing this again!" and two weeks later I am already forgetting how awful it was and am enjoying taking pictures of my new addition!