I love the feelings the Holidays bring. Anticipation, Excitement, Love, Festive, Bright, Warmth all of them.
I didn't prepare this year with a list of exactly what I was going to make, and a shopping list to go with it. While walking through the store I found myself wanting make everything my mom would make every Thanksgiving and more.
For Thanksgiving my mom would make appetizers for us to munch on before the mid-afternoon meal. It most often included cheeseball (the best recipe! You thought yours was good?), shrimp cocktail, and a veggie platter; for dinner there was Turkey and Gravy, stuffing, rolls, yams, cranberry sauce, and whatever vegetable she was wanting. I love thinking of the process getting started. I wish I was going to be home for it all.
At the same time I am completely comfortable doing it myself. Being the one in charge. I like to take what my mom made and what she taught me and throwing things I've learned and created myself.
The other night I made sweet potatoes for the Young Women in Excellence night. I grew up in Utah, sweet potatoes came in a can with the name Yams on it. So I didn't know what the fuss was about when I moved to the South and people are using sweet potatoes. If I do say so myself, what I made was amazingly good. So for you to try, here's what I did:
Boil the peeled diced sweet potatoes in chicken broth you may want to use a bit of water to save money on the broth, throw in a couple of smashed peeled garlic cloves. When the potatoes are tender, drain off liquid. Put them back in the pan and add salt and butter (don't be shy, think "Paula Deen"). Now start mashing. When it is the texture you want stir in some black pepper and heavy cream to make tasty and smooth. Top with a pat of butter and minced chives. Yummy oh Yummy! I love and hate taking something healthy and making it sinful.
1 comment:
Sounds yummy Allison! I hope you had a great Thanksgiving.
And just so you know I laughed so hard about your previous posts. Being a mother is dang hard! I think we all wonder if we are the only ones that hit our kids in the head with diaper ointment! :-) We've all done it, and that is why families are so important. They teach us those skills that we need for our eternal family. There is not a better place to learn patience, love, charity, kindness, meekness and every other Christ like attribute than in our own crazy homes!
I appreciate your honesty and you are a great mother who loves her kids and strives to do what is right. I'm glad to know I'm not the only abusive one! :-)
Post a Comment