Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Denali

We interrupt this tour of our home for a brief show and tell.

We wanted to get out of town last Saturday and considering that the only city with warm buildings to explore is 7 hrs (there's the answer to your question of how far away the nearest Target is) away we decided a drive would be best. Especially since this was the temperature for the day.

26 degrees is a bit cold and when there is a wind, well It's COLD!

So we drove to Denali National Park to see Denali. Outside (that how they say out of Alaska) you know it as Mt. McKinley. We got to see a number of times on the drive down along with other mountain ranges that are just spectacular. We got to the park on a day when it was free admittance, but you can only drive your car so far. After that distance you have to get a bus or shuttle to take you the rest way.

Can you see it? Just barely? Then you need to come visit because we could see very clearly with our own eyes. Actually we keep getting told how lucky we are that we saw it. Apparently only 30% of visitors to the park actually get to see it, because of clouds.


Tried to get a quick family picture with it over the shoulders. I really do need a better camera for moments like this.

It was fun to get out of the house and go see something that is the highest natural peak in North America.

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

I always save your blog for last when it is new on my Google Reader. 26! Are you kidding me!? We are not coming any time other than summer, if you call it summer. And we will definitely have to go to Denali. That is gorgeous.

Unknown said...

Beautiful! I have Anchorage weather on my igoogle page. I think we should switch places for a couple of weeks to really appreciate our extreme temps. :) I am sick of 100+.

Pope family said...

Looks beautiful but I have to agree that 26 is way too cold!! Wish we could come and see that view.

Pope family said...

Looks beautiful but I have to agree that 26 is way too cold!! Wish we could come and see that view.

McCallisters said...

We got lucky and saw Denali on a clear day, too. It is awesome, isn't it? Did you guys take a shuttle? See any brown bear, wolves, or caribou?

Kade and Emily said...

Yikes! 26 degrees? I'm glad Dash has that really warm coat that someone found on a killer deal! ;)

Kade and Emily said...

As a side note....26 degrees sounds wonderful. Being a bazillion months pregnant, 61 degrees was too hot for me today. I think I might swell up and explode soon.

Bringhursts said...

WHAT! I am so sorry----that is freezing!

To answer your comment about your dental ball, Todd said tell her that I was on the planning committee and that's why it was awesome. Well . . .

Next time join the Navy. It always provides you with great places to live!

AGoodKindOfCrazy said...

I went that in a bus in 1987, good times!

26. Sheeesh. It'e the end of October here now and it's suppose to be 80 tomorrow. Wish we could meet up at Sonic! Miss you!