Saturday, March 12, 2011

Ice Park 2011


I went ahead and put the year on this post to differentiate from the future posts with the same title, because we will most definitely be going to this every year.

The ice park is a part of the World Ice Sculpting Championships held right here in Fairbanks. The sculptures were amazing. Amazing that these things can be done out of ice and the artistic talent that some people have is truly astonishing. If anyone was wants to come in March, I highly recommend it. Between the Aurora Borealis we've been privileged to see in the last week and the ice park, March is a great month in Fairbanks.


We started out in the kids' park, because we have kids. Ella got to go on a field trip a few days before, so she was completely ready to lead us through the place.

Ella coming down.

Shad coming down with Dash.

The park was filled with slides like these that Amaya is on. All in different shapes and themes.




Can't come to Alaska without seeing and getting to be in an igloo. (Actually this is the first one we've seen, so we had to take a picture).


After some kids' stuff, Shad and I wanted to check out the sculptures. Like I said before, really really amazing.



The Palace pet

Arctic Man sculpture

At the end of the ice maze.

10 comments:

Rebecca said...

Awesome. No, really. In the words of Tina Fey, "I want to go to there."

Mariam said...

Very AWESOME!

Cristina said...

WOW looks like fun! I want to go there too! Love the pic of you! You look beautiful!

wyochatfields said...

Very Very Cool!!! I would love to see it but that would mean coming to Alaska in the winter.

Think Spring!!!

Pope family said...

What a neat experience- very cool!!

Unknown said...

Wow, that is gorgeous.

Jen said...

Wow, that is the coolest place!! Amazing sculptures!

Sarah said...

Just found your blog. The ice park looks awesome. We are still considering a move to Alaska. I have been dragging my feet on really trying to make a decision. But the docs up there are being really persistant. Do you have any suggestions on where to look for rentals? WE need to come up with a final decision. Any suggestions on where to live or sight to look at that would give us info would be really helpful.

Kade and Emily said...

So cool! I think I may take up ice sculpting.

pinkfrostycookies said...

Totally amazing! I've never seen anything like that. What a great adventure your family is having in Alaska! I'm so glad you can share it with us online.