Last week I saw a sign that said "Free Dog Sled Rides for Kids" I had to track this down. I knew I could go somewhere and pay for it, but I also knew it would be $25 or more per person and after 5 people, that's too much just for the experience of it. So I was determined to figure out where to go and how to get my kids on a dog sled.
We were first led to the dog sled races. It was fun to watch all the dogs and their excitement at what was coming. You could see it on them and hear it that these dogs love what they do.
Being the curious by standers, we watched for a while as the mushers set up their gear and their dogs.
This is how they transport so many dogs at once, verses mushing to race sites.
These are the sprinting dogs, that's why they look different the dogs you see racing the Iditarod.
After finally asking someone, we realized we were in the wrong place for the rides.
Here are the chilluns' ready to go.
Ella had to hold Dash so she was disappointed she didn't get to see much. They all said it was fun. I was a little jealous that I didn't get to go too. Maybe next time.
I'm so glad they got to do this, not that Dash will remember. But it's something that probably should be done if you live in Alaska.
7 comments:
So Cool! I think I should hook my kids up to a sled and make them pull me. Mush! Mush!
Um...awesome. Totally something you have to do in AK. I would have been jealous too.
Cool! What a great experience!
What a coincidence. It was just today I showed my students a documentary on the Iditarod; it started last Friday, I think. I used to have one on the Yukon Quest. Now I can tell them my grandkids are experienced dog sled racers.
What a neat experience!! Definitely a neat thing for living in Alaska.
I love it, now you just need your own dogsled team. I have two dogs that you can start out with.
Looks like lots of fun! Awesome your kids got to experience that!
Post a Comment