Wednesday, November 27, 2013

A Whirlwind of Job Hunting

Well it's that time.  The time we thought would never ever be here.  The time that Shad needs to find a job on his own.  He is separating from the Army in 2014 and we need a next adventure.

We found 3 practices that held our interest long enough that it was time to visit them and their cities to see which was going to be a good fit for Shad and for our family.
We asked my mom to come and stay with the kids, so that we could travel easily and focus at the task at hand.  Finding the next place is not an easy thing to do.

I'll list what enticed us to each place.

First was Bremerton, WA.
1. It was in WA
2. It was in a comfortable driving distance from family
3. It's in the west
4. It was surrounded by water and mountains
5. It was easy distance to a temple
6. Easy distance to a major city and all that that holds.



 I have Sprague's in my ancestry.  This was also the exit for a Target.  I felt it was an omen.  A good Omen.

 Flying above the clouds.  Sometimes I think I'm from the 18th century and that flying is still so surreal.

2nd place
Burlington, VT
1. It's Vermont
2. Mountains
3. Lake
4. Skiing
5. 4 seasons
6. Easy distance to Wendy, Shad's sister
7. Beautiful city
8. Beautiful Schools
9. Beautiful University

 We arrived late one night and found this sign at our hotel.  They randomly choose a guest each day. 


We took the most pictures here, because it was so charming and fun.




Al's French Fries has a James Beard Award for American Classics.  
And it has an awesome name.

 We took the ferry across Lake Champagne to New York.  We were driving to Albany to meet up with Shad's sister.


She took a Saturday off from her hectic life to come see us on short notice.  The day before she was hosting 20+ people for a dinner at her house.
That's what family means.  We love her and her family so much.

 I don't think you'd ever be able to tell by looking at them that they are siblings, but once they start talking and telling stories it becomes very clear. You hear them and you say "yep, they're related".

3rd
Montgomery, AL
1. It's in the south
2. the climate
3. near the ocean and a lake
4. comfortable driving distance to old friends
5. Easy driving distance to a major city
6. Easy driving distance to a temple
7. the capitol of Al (I just like that fact)

Uh, so yeah, I didn't get hardly any pictures of Montgomery, except this one.  Mainly because we were with the Doctor that owns the practice most of the time.  He drove us around to show us the sights and took us out to dinner.  He even had us over to his home.  He was a very pleasant man.

Next, on this whirlwind trip was Orlando, FL.  Saving that one for a post in of itself.

3 comments:

wyochatfields said...

I am so happy to see you blogging again. I love seeing pictures of your kids and what you guys are up to.

Rebecca said...

So dumb, but I love knowing where the post is going because I already know everything that happened.

Elaine said...

Allison--You seriously drove right by my house on your trip to Washington! You should have come for a visit! So, I, unlike Rebecca, do not know how this ends and I am dying to know where you are moving. So fun to read your blog!