Ella signed up for Running Club this year.
She only made it to one practice before the meets started.
I don't know if this picture is from her first or second meet
Ella had a hard go of that first race. I don't think she realized how long it would be and took off too fast. She was hurting so bad at the end that she wanted to stop and step off the course. Shad was with her and encouraged her to keep going. When she got to me, only 500-ish yards from the finish line, she tried to pull out again. I got onto the course and told her I would walk with her, but she needed to finish. Well I think walking with her mom was just too much for her ego to take. She started jogging again and finished by herself. She was in tears. Shad was trying to build her back up telling her she finished, she wanted to quit but didn't. It didn't matter what place she got, she finished. She didn't listen to him. Then along comes her coach. He says the SAME things Shad was telling her and all of a sudden she listened. Why do kids do that? We don't know her place. It was above 150th (there are a lot of kids at these meets).
Ella's next meet, she was more prepared. She said she was going to pace herself and even walk some of it. We were having a hard time explaining to her that she could still run the whole thing, just starting slower. Well she did just that. She was trying to stay with a couple of friends, but they were going too slow for her. She ended up leaving them behind. She place 111th. She liked that number.
The next meet went even better. It was a smaller group of kids; not as many people wanted to drive 40 minutes for the meet. She was feeling better and came in at 40th. Her confidence was soaring this time. She made a goal to get 30th at the last meet.
We are so proud of her. Proud she didn't give up and found that with a little practice a little know how she could improve and feel great about how she did no matter how well anyone else did.
She wanted me to take a picture of her with all her medals. I said ok. The next thing I knew she had grabbed every ribbon and medal and certificate she's earned in the last year. Funny kid.



1 comment:
She's so pretty. I know she could outrun me. And that last picture, awesome.
Post a Comment